Manitoba Renal Program
Manitoba Renal Program (MRP) coordinates and delivers kidney health care services for adults in Manitoba and promotes kidney health through education. The program is an interdisciplinary team of health-care professionals working together alongside hospitals, regional health authorities, governments and communities to deliver the highest quality kidney health care and kidney health education.
Manitoba Renal Program (formerly Manitoba Provincial Dialysis Program) was mandated in 1998 by Manitoba Health under the umbrella of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) to provide care for all patients receiving dialysis therapies in Manitoba.
- Provide adult clinical care and education regarding all aspects of acute and chronic renal or kidney disease
- Plan and monitor province-wide kidney care services
- Develop province-wide clinical standards and guidelines
- Measure and report on patient and system outcomes
- Support renal staff and patients through education and teaching
- Deliver high quality kidney health care services to Manitobans
- Improve early diagnosis and treatment of chronic kidney disease
- Promote prevention of chronic kidney disease through education
For a complete listing of dialysis centres in Manitoba visit our locations page.
If you are visiting Manitoba from another province or country, and want to make arrangements to receive dialysis treatments during your visit, please visit our Out of Province Patients page.
Manitoba Renal Program Regional Program Leadership:
Dr. Mauro Verrelli
Medical Director, Manitoba Renal Program
Associate Head, Section of Nephrology, University of Manitoba
Dr. Claudio Rigatto
Section Head, Section of Nephrology, University of Manitoba
Associate Medical Director, Manitoba Renal Program
Betty Lou Burke
Program Director, Manitoba Renal Program
Administrative Director – Manitoba Renal Program (and Corporate, Community Health Services)
Krista Williams – Chief Health Operations – WRHA
Dr. Ainslie Mihalchuk – Interim Chief Medical Officer – WRHA
MRP Program Team:
Manager, Renal Technology
Manager Peritoneal Dialysis Community Care & Kidney Health Outreach
Aboriginal Liaison Coordinator
Krista Stewart & Eric Garcia
Fitness & Wellness Coordinators
Julie Lorenz, Angie Wieler
Sharon Edmundson & Janelle Peterson
electronic Kidney Health Record
Quality Improvement Officer
Dr. Lori Wazny & Dr. Christine Davis
Pharmaceutical Care Coordinators
Hospital Site Leadership & Teams:
Health Sciences Centre & Local Renal Health Centres Program
Dr. Joe Bueti
Medical Director, HSC Renal Program
Dr. Herman Lam
Medical Director, Central Dialysis Unit
Dr. Don Allan
Medical Director, Sherbrook Centre Dialysis Unit
Dr. James Zacharias
Medical Director, Manitoba Local Renal Health Centres
Medical Director, Home Hemodialysis, HSC
Director of Patient Services, HSC Renal Program
Manager, Patient Care
Kidney Health Clinic, Local Renal Health Centres, Home Hemodialysis
Seven Oaks General Hospital
Dr. Sean Armstrong
Medical Director, SOGH Renal Program
Dr. Andrea Mazurat
Medical Director, SOGH Hemodialysis
Dr. Paul Komenda
Medical Director, Home Hemodialysis
Dr. Sara Dunsmore
Medical Director, Peritoneal Dialysis & Renal Clinic
Program Director, SOGH Renal Program
Patient Care Team Manager, Hemodialysis
Patient Care Team Manager, Home Hemodialysis, Renal Health Clinic, Peritoneal Dialysis
St. Boniface Hospital
Dr. Mauro Verrelli
Medical Director, SBH Renal Program
Medical Director, Peritoneal Dialysis
Dr. Justin Walters
Medical Director, Hemodialysis
Program Director, Renal & Palliative Care
Patient Care Manager, Dialysis
Program Team Manager, Palliative Care and Peritoneal Dialysis
Brandon Regional Health Centre
Dr. Barry Riche
Medical Director, BHRC Renal Health Program
Program Manager, Renal Unit
For more information on the additional 16 Local Renal Health Centres click here.
Manitoba Renal Project is actively involved in projects and initiatives that support our goals and improve our programs and services.
Read about some of our projects here:
Published research with MRP staff as contributing authors:
Hingwala J, Kumra R. Reducing medical administration errors in the dialysis unit. Creation and redesign of process maps, dialysis flow and treatment sheets, and standardized tools for dialysis staff.
Hingwala J. A3 implementation for staff initiatives. Educating and training nephrology staff on A3 worksheet.
Basaraba G, Lyndsay A, Bueti G, Hingwala J. Dialysis medication requisitions. Creation and implementation of specialized medication requisitions for chronic dialysis patients when they are admitted to hospital.
Hingwala J. Improve clinic patient flow and efficiency. Create process mapping and value stream mapping to reduce redundancies, improve workflow, better train new clinic staff, and reduce omission errors.
Hingwala J, Komenda P, Tangri N. Quality indicators for the Manitoba Renal Program (MRP). Translating the MRP strategic plan goals to quality indicator measures that are accurate and actionable.
Improving responsiveness across the continuum of kidney health care in rural and remote Manitoba First Nation communities (IKHealth) co-Principal applicants : Dr. Josee Lavoie, Caroline Chartrand, Lorraine McLeod, James Zacharias. CIHR – 5 year funding starting April 1, 2018, $1,575,000.00
Hingwala J, Tangri N, Komenda P, Armstrong S, Paretz D, Cuvelier, S, Peritoneal dialysis catheters for the treatment of refractory ascites management: A randomized un-blinded pilot study.
St. Peter WL, Wazny LD, Weinhandl ED. Phosphate-Binder Use in US Dialysis Patients: Prevalence, Costs, Evidence, and Policies. Am J Kidney Dis 2018;71(2):246-53.
St. Peter WL, Wazny LD, Weinhandl E, Cardone KE, Hudson JQ. A review of phosphate binders in chronic kidney disease: Incremental progress of just higher costs? Drugs 2017, 77(11):1155-86.
Wazny L, Moist L.Ch. 100 Chronic Kidney Disease. In: Gray, J, ed. Compendium of Therapeutic Choices 2017 ed. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Pharmacists Association, 2017.
Hudson JQ, Wazny LD. Ch. 44 Chronic Kidney Disease. In: Dipiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, et al, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach 10th ed. New York, NY.: McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.; 2017.
St. Peter W., Wazny L, Weinhandl E. FR-PO882 Phosphate binder use and cost trends in US dialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol Oct 2017;28(abstract ed):631. American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA (Nov 2-5, 2017).
Hougen I, Collister D, Bourrier M, Ferguson T, Hochheim L, Komenda P, Rigatto C, Tangri N. Safety of Intravenous Iron in Dialysis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018 Mar 7;13(3):457-467. doi: 10.2215/CJN.0539051. Epub 2018 Feb 20. PubMed PMID: 29463597; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5967668.
Smekal MD, Tam-Tham H, Finlay J, Donald M, Benterud E, Thomas C, Quinn RR, Tam K, Manns BJ, Tonelli M, Bello A, Tangri N, Hemmelgarn BR. Perceived Benefits and Challenges of a Risk-Based Approach to Multidisciplinary Chronic Kidney Disease Care: A Qualitative Descriptive Study. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018 Mar 23;5:2054358118763809. doi: 0.1177/2054358118763809. eCollection 2018. PubMed PMID: 29636981; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5888822.
Collister D, Tangri N. Conventional Risk Factors Associated With Meaningful Outcomes in Advanced CKD. Kidney Int Rep. 2018 Mar 15;3(3):513-515. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2018.02.013. eCollection 2018 May. PubMed PMID: 29854958; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5976847
Arora RC, Tangri N. All that glitters may not be gold: Changes in serum creatinine may not be the criterion standard for acute kidney injury. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018 Jun;155(6):2439-2440. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2018.01.047. Epub 2018 Feb 8. PubMed PMID: 29530573.
Bohm CJ, Storsley LJ, Hiebert BM, Nelko S, Tangri N, Cheskin LJ, McAdams-DeMarco MA, Rigatto C. Impact of Exercise Counseling on Physical Function in Chronic Kidney Disease: An Observational Study. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018
Feb 19;5:2054358117753615. doi: 10.1177/2054358117753615. eCollection 2018. PubMed PMID: 29487746; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5821295.
Kosiborod M, Lam CSP, Kohsaka S, Kim DJ, Karasik A, Shaw J, Tangri N, Goh SY Thuresson M, Chen H, Surmont F, Hammar N, Fenici P; CVD-REAL Investigators and Study Group. Cardiovascular Events Associated With SGLT-2 Inhibitors Versus Other
Glucose-Lowering Drugs: The CVD-REAL 2 Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Jun 12;71(23):2628-2639. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.03.009. Epub 2018 Mar 11. PubMed PMID: 29540325.
Harasemiw O, Milks S, Oakley L, Lavallee B, Chartrand C, McLeod L, Di Nella M, Rigatto C, Tangri N, Ferguson T, Komenda P. Remote Dwelling Location Is a Risk Factor for CKD Among Indigenous Canadians. Kidney Int Rep. 2018 Feb 10;3(4):825-832. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2018.02.002. eCollection 2018 Jul. PubMed PMID: 29989009; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6035135.
Levin A, Adams E, Barrett BJ, Beanlands H, Burns KD, Chiu HH, Chong K, Dart A, Ferera J, Fernandez N, Fowler E, Garg AX, Gilbert R, Harris H, Harvey R, Hemmelgarn B, James M, Johnson J, Kappel J, Komenda P, McCormick M, McIntyre C,
Mahmud F, Pei Y, Pollock G, Reich H, Rosenblum ND, Scholey J, Sochett E, Tang M, Tangri N, Tonelli M, Turner C, Walsh M, Woods C, Manns B. Canadians Seeking Solutions and Innovations to Overcome Chronic Kidney Disease (Can-SOLVE CKD):
Form and Function. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018 Jan 17;5:2054358117749530. doi: 10.1177/2054358117749530. eCollection 2018. PubMed PMID: 29372064; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5774731.
Wu J, Dong M, Santos S, Rigatto C, Liu Y, Lin F. Lab-on-a-Chip Platforms for Detection of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer Biomarkers. Sensors (Basel). 2017 Dec 17;17(12). pii: E2934. doi: 10.3390/s17122934. Review. PubMed PMID: 29258216;
PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5751502.
Liu P, Quinn RR, Oliver MJ, Ronksley PE, Hemmelgarn BR, Quan H, Hiremath S, Bello AK, Blake PG, Garg AX, Johnson J, Verrelli M, Zacharias JM, Abd ElHafeez S, Tonelli M1, Ravani P. (2018). Association between Duration of Predialysis Care and Mortality after Dialysis Start.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol.
Zelenitsky SA, Howarth J, Lagacé-Wiens P, Sathianathan C, Ariano R, Davis C, Verrelli M. (2017). Microbiological Trends and Antimicrobial Resistance in Peritoneal Dialysis-Related Peritonitis, 2005 to 2014. Peritoneal Dialysis International 2017 Mar-Apr. 37(2): 170-176.
- Validation of the Kidney Failure Risk Equation in Manitoba
- Anemia management in chronic kidney disease and dialysis: a narrative review.
- Screening for chronic kidney disease in Canadian indigenous peoples is cost-effective.
- A Dynamic Predictive Model for Progression of CKD
- Microbiological Trends and Antimicrobial Resistance in Peritoneal Dialysis-Related Peritonitis, 2005 To 2014
- ANCA Associated Vasculitis Secondary to Levamisole-Adultered Cocaine with Associated Membranous Nephropathy: A Case Series
- Care of Manitobans Living with Chronic Kidney Disease – Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
- Dignity and Distress towards the End of Life across Four Non-Cancer Populations
- An ethanol/sodium citrate locking solution compared to heparin to prevent hemodialysis catheter-related infections: a randomized pilot study
- PLOS ONE: An Economic Assessment Model of Rural and Remote Satellite Hemodialysis Units
- Differentiating between apparent and actual rates of H2O2 metabolism by isolated rat muscle mitochondria to test a simple model of mitochondria as regulators of H2O2 concentration
- The Prevalence of CKD in Rural Canadian Indigenous Peoples: Results From the First Nations Community Based Screening to Improve Kidney Health and Prevent Dialysis (FINISHED) Screen, Triage, and Treat Program
- Pasteurella species peritoneal dialysis-associated peritonitis: Household pets as a risk factor
- The Safety and Efficacy of Mineralocorticoid Receptor Antagonists in Patients Who Require Dialysis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- IMPACT OF MODALITY CHOICE ON RATES OF HOSPITALIZATION IN PATIENTS ELIGIBLE FOR BOTH PERITONEAL DIALYSIS AND HEMODIALYSIS
- Maintenance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis-specific T cell responses in End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and implications for diagnostic efficacy
- Intensive Hemodialysis, Mineral and Bone Disorder, and Phosphate Binder Use
- CABG or PCI: which is better for revascularization of coronary artery disease in chronic kidney disease?
- The Patterns, Risk Factors, and Prediction of Progression in Chronic Kidney Disease: A Narrative Review
- Effect of Time on Dialysis and Renal Transplantation on Endothelial Function: A Longitudinal Analysis
- Impact of modality choice on rates of hospitalization in patients eligible for both peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis.
- Intensive Hemodialysis and Health-Related Quality of Life
- Intensive Hemodialysis and Potential Risks With Increasing Treatment
- Intensive Hemodialysis and Treatment Complications and Tolerability
- Mass screening for chronic kidney disease in rural and remote Canadian first nations people: methodology and demographic characteristics
- Effect of a preventive foot care program on lower extremity complications in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease
- Dignity and Distress towards the End of Life across Four Non-Cancer Populations
- Evaluating the implementation strategy for estimated glomerular filtration rate reporting in Manitoba: the effect on referral numbers, wait times, and appropriateness of consults