To ensure that research is fostered and used in MRP functions, the program has formally created the Renal Research and Development Committee (RRDC). The primary role of the RRDC is to foster, approve, and monitor research and technological development, in addition to allocating and monitoring third party contributed funding for research within the MRP.
- To serve as a mechanism for seamlessly and collaboratively fostering, approving, and monitoring Manitoba Renal Program research.
- To manage third-party contributions directed towards research and development.
- To ensure that allocation of third-party contributed funding meets the defined vision and strategic direction of the program in the context of research, quality development, quality enhancement and other significant activities.
- To serve as a mechanism for MRP research approval regardless of funding source.
The RRDC is currently co-chaired by Claudio Rigatto and Mr. Alan Weber . The membership of the RRDC is interdisciplinary and includes physicians and members from nursing, social work, food and nutrition, pharmacy, technology and administrative disciplines. All MRP sites are represented on the committee either directly or indirectly (i.e. – local centre sites are represented via the HSC).
- To identify and compile listings of all clinical research and development activities within the Manitoba Renal Program.
- To ensure all clinical research and development within the MRP is reported to the committee.
- To assess all research activity and proposals submitted to RRDC in order to: assure the general feasibility of the study, assure that ethics approval is obtained where relevant, avoid conflicting or reduplicative research activity within the program by ranking and prioritizing ongoing and proposed research
- To raise the profile and increase awareness of ongoing research activity within the MRP.
- To approve all clinical research activity involving MRP regardless of funding source, although non-third-party contributed funding (i.e. value added funding) will not be managed by this committee.
- To identify and compile listings of research and development activities within the MRP for potential access to research funding. Funded initiatives may also include items such as attendance at workshop and conference fees related to research and development, non-WRHA funded equipment purchases, etc. All Manitoba Renal Program third-party contributed resources shall be coordinated via the MRP Executive allocating funds to the RRDC and/or the MRP Educational Committee.
- To collaboratively and equitably rank and prioritize research and development for possible funding from third-party contributed sources. Each initiative or cost item identified shall be assessed to ensure congruence with the Renal Program’s vision and strategic direction.
- To monitor new and existing dialysis contracts with third-party contributors to ensure all contributions for research are received and accounted for in an appropriate manner.
- To continually monitor costs related to research and development to ensure ongoing financial viability and that all approved research and development activities are appropriately funded.
- To aid, assist, and facilitate in the research and development process (e.g. – equipment information, statistics, completion of ethics forms, etc).