What is the role of the MRP Aboriginal Liaison Coordinator?
The Aboriginal Liaison Coordinator is a resource for MRP staff and our Indigenous patients to ensure culturally appropriate care and assist in coordinating relevant resources. The liaison runs a monthly Patient Representative Committee meeting and also works with Indigenous communities and various organizations to deliver kidney health education programming.
When should you call the Liaison?
- When you have already contacted WRHA Indigenous Health but are having issues coordinating support through WRHA Indigenous Health (interpreters, etc.)
- When there has been a communication breakdown or there needs to be a more collaborative approach in meeting an Indigenous patient’s needs
- When extra support is needed to facilitate a relocation or discharge
- If the patient is missing treatments or scheduled appointments
- When your unit/program is planning initiatives or services that impact Indigenous patients and you want guidance on culturally appropriate approaches
Are you looking for an interpreter, advocate, discharge planner or spiritual/cultural care provider for your Indigenous patients? Click here to learn about WRHA Indigenous Health.