October 2020 |
Welcome the cooler weather with this spicy, traditional dish.
1.__Soak lentils in a large pot of water (~10 cups) for 12 hours or more.
2. Once the lentils are done soaking, strain out the soaking water (containing potassium) and rinse the lentils.
3. Fill a medium pot with 3 cups of room temperature water, add the rinsed lentils, turn the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cumin powder; cook for 60 to 90 seconds until fragrant.
5. Add the onion, chili pepper, garlic, and ginger to the skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the onions are turn translucent.
6. Add the remaining spices (turmeric, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper) and chopped tomato to the pan and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add the almond milk and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Once the lentils are cooked, drain off any excess water.
9. Stir the drained lentils in with spiced onion mixture.
10. Add the lime juice and brown sugar and stir well. Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts (per ½ cup serving), using lentils pre-soaked for 12 hours:
Calories: 266 kcal
Protein: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 38 g
Potassium: 180 mg
Phosphorus: 112 mg
Sodium: 21 mg
November 2023 | News Patient News Uncategorized
In 2022, we surveyed in-centre hemodialysis patients across 20 dialysis locations to find out how they felt about their care….
September 2023 | News Patient News Recipes Uncategorized
(Filipino Pineapple Chicken) Servings: makes 6 servings (approx 1 cup per serving) Ingredients 1 lb Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut…