March 12, 2014 |
Did you know?
March is Pharmacist Awareness Month and Kidney Health Month!
The Manitoba Renal Program employs pharmacists specialized in the care of people living with kidney disease in the Renal Health Clinics, Peritoneal Dialysis, Home Hemodialysis, and in-centre Hemodialysis units. In 2009 the MB Renal Program won a national Commitment to Care Award for establishing a funding model for pharmacists to provide care to patients living with kidney disease
Several recent studies have demonstrated considerable benefits to having a pharmacist as part of the kidney care team including:
- significantly higher hemoglobin levels
- more patients receiving blood pressure drugs that slow down progression of kidney disease
- improved quality of life
- fewer hospitalizations & deaths
- for every $1 spent on a pharmacist salary, $5 in patient care costs are saved or avoided
What do we do?
- Perform medication histories.
- Assess medication appropriateness and identification of drug-related problems.
- Evaluate and write discharge prescriptions from hospital.
- Medication education for patients and staff (Lean, Keen, Kidney Machine classes, Renal Health Outreach, MB Nephrology Nursing Course)
- Improve patient medication adherence.
- Design and conduct research.
Who are we?
- Health Sciences Centre
- Central Dialysis Unit: Gord, Cali, Kim
- Sherbrook Dialysis Unit: Cheryl
- Local Centres: Candace, Julie
- Renal Health Clinics: Lori, Lavern, Julie, Amy
- Home Hemodialysis: Candace
- Kidney Transplant: Jen
- St. Boniface General Hospital
- Hemodialysis Unit: Angela, Cory
- Renal Health Clinics & Peritoneal Dialysis: Béatrice, Christine, Claudia, Tara
- Seven Oaks General Hospital
- Hemodialysis Unit: Sandra, Maria, Diana
- Clinics: Kris, Stephanie
Where can you find more information on your medications?
Click here: http://www.kidneyhealth.ca/wp/patients-and-caregivers/medications/
May 23, 2019 | Home Hemodialysis News Patient News Staff News
Alongside many other new features, the facility now has a home hemodialysis room.
May 13, 2019 | Home Hemodialysis News Patient Stories
The day Renee Healey has been waiting for is nearly here.