When should MRP staff call WRHA Indigenous Health?
Call if your patient who is Indigenous:
- speaks an Indigenous language
- is being discharged
- wants a patient advocate
- wants ceremonies or traditional medicines
- needs additional support
- can benefit from a referral to WRHA Indigenous Health to be assessed for additional support
If you have a clinic or dialysis patient that is Indigenous, consider a referral to WRHA Indigenous Health (1-877-940-8880) so they can assess your patient’s needs.
- Make referral to Indigenous Health so they can assess needs of the patient (1-877-940-8880)
- If any type of language barrier, ensure IH worker contacted ahead of time for significant appointments/discussions with health team or clinic visits
- If there are issues making a connection with Indigenous Health or more collaboration is needed among the care team call the MRP Aboriginal Patient Liaison Coordinator
When in doubt, always make a referral to WRHA Indigenous Health. By making referrals we help ensure a record of the need for their services exists so they can plan accordingly to try and meet that demand now and in the future.
For patients not receiving care in Winnipeg, WRHA Indigenous Health works with Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs’ Patient Advocate Unit which also takes direct referrals.